The slender crab spider Tibellus oblongus, Corktown Common, Toronto. #DailySpiderPic 🐘
All the boycotting of Eurovision 2019 which actually matters (by musicians, trade unions, tourists, etc) has already been happening for months.
Did you buy a ticket to go there? No? Good. Many of the people in the audience today are Israeli soldiers and citizens who got free tickets. They didn't have the spike in tourism that Eurovision host countries normally get.
Did you pay attention to all of the branding and propaganda that Israel were doing? No? Also good. They've done their best to try and hide their darker side. I trust nobody's falling for it.
tl;dr whether or not you were watching the broadcast, it was already a huge failure regardless
For those who want to do more than just posting their opinions on social media, here are some things which can actually make a difference...
• Join an actual protest. I have before. Have you?
• A consumer boycott is by far the most effective thing to do. Boycott Israeli products and companies which support Israel (notably Hewlett Packard).
• If you're a student or researcher, boycott them academically too.
• Donate money to the UN to help Palestinian refugees.
• Listen to and amplify Palestinian voices, like https://twitter.com/MuhammadSmiry
(He and others are one of the reasons I'm not quitting Twitter)
• Support peace building initiatives like Breaking The Silence.
• Here are a few more suggestions from Palestine itself: https://pchrgaza.org/en/?page_id=579
Borked decent electronic device, computer, phone, tablet, something? If it powers up, but doesn't do what you want it to, I can probably turn it into something else for me, and would cheerfully trade some art if you pay to ship it to me.
Wipe. Your. Data. First.
Heck, I'll art for non-borked devices, farming equipment, and other things I haven't thought of yet, too. Probably won't be high end/high concept art, but it'll be art you can print or have me host on RB.
(On top of trip to High Park, had long and quite late work shift)
(Reminds me of a comment I saw recently in a bug ID forum: "Is this a normal place to find mites?" A better question: is there an *abnormal* place to find mites? Outer space, maybe.)
It seems to be too early in the year for many spiders...but my spider-finding skills are seriously lacking so there's probably lots out there I just didn't see.
possibly the most important repo on github https://github.com/Drewsif/wipedicks
my day, food
- biked along waterfront to march
- union march
- got rained on a bit
- bought some pants
- checked out city hall green roof (nothing much going on yet)
- biked home along waterfront
- had ice cream and a roti
- staggered home full of food
- now having a lie down to digest
- cat is happily lying in paper bag the pants were in
gene wolfe in the streets, clive barker in the sheets
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!