Politics so much resembles chess. There are just two sides. Each side starts with the same number of puppets, which perpetuates the question: is it about puppets or about strategy?
But in society one side has 99% of the puppets (and always loses) and the other side has 1% of the puppets and always wins for some obscure reason.
The game is certainly not "representative" nor is it any fun (for the majority), yet we keep playing it over and over...
Maak de klimaatmars 10 maart groot
De klimaatmars op 10 maart wordt de grootste Nederlandse klimaatdemonstratie ooit! Vanuit Den Haag CS nemen we samen de trein naar Amsterdam CS.
Deel dit event en neem je vrienden, collega's en familie mee. Het klimaat gaat iedereen aan.
We verzamelen in de hal, bij spoor 9. Daar vertrekt om 11.47 de trein naar Amsterdam.
Are the Digital Commons condemned to become “Capital Commons”? | Infoshop News
2) The reason DNS/SSL are so hard is *because* of the coordination with central authorities.
3) If your address was your key fingerprint, no need for a CA; you already know how to make a secure connection (why .onion does not need https)
4) SSL CAs are as weak as the *weakest* CA in your CA list. It only takes one badly acting CA for you to be man in the middled.
5) DNS and SSL CAs centralize the otherwise decentralized fediverse.
Down with DNS, down with SSL CA cartels.
"Embracing love of nature, he writes, moves people beyond denial and passivity to the action necessary to protect life on our planet."
Well, it's a bit more than that. Yes, we have lost our connection with nature inside our concrete jungles.
But we also have to live with a broken system that rewards bad behavior like environmental destruction, and punishes/imprisons those who turn to action.
Unless that is all 99% of us, demanding system change.
Bill Gates says poverty is decreasing. He couldn’t be more wrong
(submitted by bogle)
Tomorrow through early friday, we are doing this fediverse hackathon https://indieweb.org/2019/Vlissingen
Anyone can participate remotely! We will be chatting in #social on irc.w3.org
But you can also come in person if you can make it to Vlissingen! There is still plenty of space, and it will be in this cool tower: https://www.watertorenvlissingen.com/
Right to Repair is already hurling into action in 2019 | iFixit
Thank you, thank you, thank you @aral for writing this:
#Google #Facebook #Apple #Amazon are such benevolent do-gooders for us all. #SurveillanceCapitalism is a ruse. It had to be said, and we can't thank #FAANG enough for the great stuff they do for #humanity /s
Let's thank them on #HackerNews before the entry leaves the front page:
"participants in the decentralized social web is so good at fighting each other that apparently we do that work for them.
But it doesn't have to be that way. You might be able to come to consensus on a good way forward. And if you can't come to consensus, you can at least have friendly and cooperative communication."
Looking at https://gnu.org/consensus
Maybe it should be renamed GNU ControVerse.
Quoting @rhiaro in http://rhiaro.github.io/thesis/chapter5#swwg-competing-specifications: (1/2)
"Eventually the Working Group as a whole acknowledged this, and resolved to move forward all of the prospective standards separately, and to stop trying to force convergence.
This decision was controversial in the eyes of other members of the wider W3C community who were not members of Social Web Working Group, and potentially confusing for developers looking for the solution to decentralised Social Web protocols."
FOSDEM 2019 - decentralized internet and privacy
It seems to me that the latest AI hype is an attempt at hiding that humans are clever enough. It could have more to do with the fact that machines are much easier to instruct than humans. A better name for AI would be programmed intelligence, not to be confused with inference or reasoning. But then, if you have lots of cycles to waste..
Urban commons shared spaces - about commons in the urban environment (pdf)
Throughout Europe we are witnessing a blossoming of self-organised, collective practices in the urban environment.
The four eras of digital computing:
① Mainframe (centralised)
② Personal Computing (PC 1.0; decentralised)
③ Web/Cloud (Mainframe 2.0; centralised)
④ Peer Computing (PC 2.0; decentralised)
The PC 2.0 era is what some of us are working to usher in.
mongolito - a light-weight mongodb for linux
Read the story: https://citiwise.eu/
Or download (please see the README)
Commons Compute Infrastructure
Minimalism (less is more)
social.coop is a cooperatively-run corner of the Fediverse. The instance is democratically governed by its members, who generally share an interest in the co-op model, but topics of discussion range widely.
Our instance is supported by sliding scale contributions of $1-10/mo made via Open Collective. You must have an active Open Collective account to apply for membership; you may set one up here