This is such a typical story for Google:
- "You can now buy music from Google Play Music!"
- (User buys music)
- "We're retiring Google Play Music. Please migrate to YouTube Music or you'll lose access."
- (User migrates to YouTube Music)
- (User plays music via new app)
- Ad starts blaring through speakers
- "For an ad-free experience and background playback, please buy a YouTube subscription now!"
I only bought a few albums there. Thankfully they'll at least let you download them.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!