Thanks all! Going to explore those two :)
Recommendations for a NextCloud host? It will just be me and one other person using it at first, and unlikely to scale to more than 10 people.
There's a list of providers here: https://nextcloud.com/providers/
(I know and trust Web Architects - who else is good and based in the EU?)
This writeup of my #LibrePlanet2018 keynote on BoingBoing is more eloquent and concise than the talk. Thanks to Cory for the awesome summary, reflections, and signal boost! https://boingboing.net/2018/06/21/digital-enclosure.html
Augur, an attempt to build a decentralized prediction market on Ethereum launches on July 9th. For me, if it works, it will be one of the last pieces of the 90s Cypherpunk gameplan to go live — and that’s pretty scary, because this is the one that *even people in that community* conceded might be too much power to give to everyone in the world, willy-nilly.
Things got very real when Jim Bell wrote Assassination Politics and ended up in jail https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bell
My first #ff.
- @cwebber - Co-drafted the ActivityPub spec!
- @Gargron - Mastodon founder
- @nightpool - Mastodon developer
- @lain - Pleroma founder
- @ConnyDuck - developer of @Tusky
- @deadsuperhero - Editor of #WeDistribute
- @ZiiX - The @Curator and admin of mastodon.art
- @cryptpad - Encrypted Collaborative Google Docs Alternative
- @pea - fontina dev. https://github.com/beta-phenylethylamine/fontina
- @yabirgb - zinat dev. https://github.com/yabirgb/zinat
- @qonnyr - morii dev, a PixelFed mobile app!
Mastodon! What's your favourite newsletter format? Why?
Feel free to mention specific newsletters, but I'm more interested if for example, you prefer:
1. Short, text-only, bullet-piunts with to-the point links.
2. Lots of images to scroll through to make it a beautiful experience.
3. Something else?
(I have my suspicions about what this crowd will like, but we'll see)
Our security roadmap is probably our most important / best such document: https://github.com/mailpile/Mailpile/wiki/Security-roadmap
The Mastodon bridge tool has got a facelift! https://bridge.joinmastodon.org/
You can sign in with Twitter and Mastodon to find Twitter friends in the fediverse. You can also send it to your Twitter friends, as it will show them their friends on Mastodon and point them to where they could make an account!
Open source community calls in the wake of GDPR
Hey all, I need some help rethinking community calls for #opensource projects.
At Moodle, as we did at Mozilla, I've been using a public Etherpad for people to:
- Sign in
- Introduce themselves
- Contribute ideas to the project
We're also using Zoom to:
- Discuss things via video and audio
- Record the call for later viewing
After a conversation with our data privacy lead today, I've got to delete the existing data we've captured in this way, and come up with a new approach.
Any ideas? 🙃