Do you have a plan for keeping these groups apart? Do you have a strategy?
Wheeler: We were successful on Aug 17 2019 to keep violent parties separated. Communities also participated and took a stand against violence. We're lacking that coalition of determination against violence.
Have you asked the governor for National Guard?
Wheeler: Yes, she denied twice. I believe that we're okay without them.
How do you respond to Trump's criticism?
Wheeler: It's appalling that Trump would pretend to be surprised by violence. He should uplift us and help us and bring us together instead of use divisive politics. Trump should support us or "stay the hell out of the way". "Of course he isn't surprised, he encouraged them." I'm not surprised in the slgithtest, I'm surprised that he's surprised. We all need a reset and it required local and federal leadership to end violence.
How will we deal with this in the future?
- Wheeler: My greatest fear is someone dying. I am mourning and accountable. I and council colleagues are committing to reforms and 19 point plan. Vote in November. I will continue to ask community and colleagues to work with me. Violence is a dead-end street. We need education and housing. Let's not get sidetracked by violence.
Planning for demonstrations?
- Lovell: We had info about caravan coming to PDX. Didn't have info on number. After start we had a sense. Tried to make precautions to keep out of downtown, on I5.
- Wheeler: Also we we were watching social media.
Next up: DA Mike Schmidt.
- MLK quote.
- Saddened that the message BLM might be undermined by this violence.
- ~"Our community is being terrorized by people coming into our city for the explicit reason of commiting violence"
- "We cannot allow this critical moment in our history to be hijacked"
- MLK quote
Lovell is up next:
- Homicide in downtown PDX.
- Refrain from speculation on social media.
- If you have info, come forward.
- Caravan was gone when shooting occurred.
- No other details at this time.
- Highlights recent homicide of 17-year-old in park that received less media attention.
- Focus on what we have in common, not what divides us.
Wheeler wants help from other Oregon officials to "stop the violence".
"What happened last night does not move us forward, it sets us back."
Talking about Portland shared values and says that we should focus on peaceful reform and non-violent action.
Wheeler is denouncing "the violence". Ambiguous. Calls for out-of-town trouble-makers to "stay away". Asks Portlanders to denounce "all violence".
Calls Trump racist, sexist, anti-democratic, and lists off a handful of offensive things Trump has done.
"Now you're attacking Democratic mayors [...] it's you who have created this violence and division [...] it's you who claaim that white supremacists are good people."
Press briefing should be starting soon. You can watch here (https://katu.com/watch). I'll try to live toot the big stuff.
woah this is thorough as fuck
Anatomy of a counter-insurgency: Efforts to undermine the George Floyd uprising
it's true that we've organized lots of material improvements via social media, but I'd argue that's in spite of the way social media is organized rather than because of it.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!